Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Nutcracker

Mom and daughter:
So last night, my friend Cindy and I took our girls to see the Nutcracker. First, we went to a very nice restaurant for dessert. I have to say that I didn't think we were going to make it. First, the show didn't start until 8:00 pm - hello? that's bedtime! So I knew a nap (and I good one) would be necessary. At naptime, Ella wasn't at all interested in resting, but she did fall asleep in the car after a trip to the store - about 4:00. For once, I was excited about a late nap. She slept long and hard. So hard, that when she woke up at 5:30, she had wet the bed and she started crying. She cried through an entire bath and while I dried her hair. I really thought we were in trouble when she didn't want to get dressed. Finally, she calmed down enough to put on her clothes. And I was able to convince her to sit on the couch and watch a cartoon (and eat some grapes and cheese for dinner) while I finished getting ready. Amazingly, we were ready to go at 6:50 and made it to the restaurant at 7:00. Here are the girls all dressed up for the ballet:
And the mommies, with Ella showing a bit of her attitude from earlier in the evening:
The girls outside the beautiful Paramount Theatre:

Like I said before, I didn't know what to expect from the evening - from how Ella would behave to the show itself. I have to say I was surprised by the quality of the production. This is our local Abilene Ballet - all local talent with a few guest performers. The set was amazing! The costumes were beautiful! It was really, really a fabulous show. Plus, it was fun to see people I know (or sort of know) on stage. We also know little girls that were angels, or mice or soldiers.

So, for the first Act, Ella set and watched wide eyed, clearly enjoying the ballet. She clapped at the end of each performance. During the second act, she danced along - thankfully quietly. If the dancers had their arms up, she did. If their arms were out, hers were out. She even twirled and curtsied.

I think we'll have to enroll her in ballet next year and one day she can be in the Nutcracker!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: