Matt posted this thought on Facebook: "wondering if we're insane for even thinking about driving 4,500 mi from abilene to seattle to santa barbara to abilene." Twenty people have commented, "YES! You are insane!" Let me fill you in on the details, then you can make an informed opinion.On May 30th, Matt's best friend from highschool is getting married in Seattle. Then, on June 10th, Matt's niece graduates in Santa Barbara. So, we could leave the kids and take a quick, but expensive trip to Seattle for the wedding. They would stay at Matt's parents, which would require us to drive to Marble Falls, Texas and then fly out of Austin. (My mom will be teaching school until June 3, so flying out of Dallas is out). Total of $600 for airfare, then at least $400 for hotel. And then - we would need to rent a car to get around...it adds up.
Then, a week and a half later, all four of us would fly to Santa Barbara for the graduation. Tickets are about $400 each, so a total of $1600.
We're already looking at least $2600 for the two trips. So, we got out google maps and plotted a route that takes us through Yellowstone to Seattle, then down the Oregon and California coasts through the Redwood forest and San Francisco to Santa Barbara.
If we could bypass Texas, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico it would be ideal. It would be MANY HOURS in the car, but we'd see some incredible sites and make both events. It wouldn't be cheap, each night we'd stay in a hotel, plus gas and food.
Also - Matt has made the round trip from Abilene to Seattle many times. I've done it one-way once. He's also driven from Seattle to Malibu, CA. Of course, we've never done it with a 5 and 2 year old.
Still think we're crazy for considering taking a 2 week roadtrip? Around these parts, they'd call us "frontiering-ers".


4 comments:
Do your kids travel well? Mine do and I think it you could stop often, drive during the night some, and have a TV for both kids, you could do it! It wouldn't be easy, but I'm sure you'd make some fun memories!
A roadtrip with a purpose - sounds very reasonable...just don't get caught up checking out the "worlds biggest ball of twine" or other roadside stuff that I know Matt will want to stop at :)
I think the kids would love it! I am sure it would be hard at times, but it would definately be full of fun memories. Is traveling through an airprot twice with two kids (since you have at least one connection/lay over) really that much better? I think you would have a great time!
My favorite thing in the world is a road trip. Kevin and I flew to LA this summer and drove up the PCH to SF...I LOVE ROADTRIPS. With kids, without kids - who cares! This land is OUR land and we need to see every mile of it! Go for it! You will NEVER regret 2 weeks of uninterupted time with your husband and small children. NEVER!
Post a Comment