Monday, December 8, 2008
I cried at my brother's wedding
Doug & Chandra are married!! After a short 2 month engagement, they are officially newlyweds. My kids adore their Uncle Doug and Aunt Chandra. Too bad it didn't show at the wedding. We had an exhausting weekend getting everything ready. The kids did great spending hours and hours up at the church...until the actual ceremony. Oh, my.
Ella did fine the first 5 minutes, then she literally started climbing the pews - bothering the couple in front of us and being loud. Just seconds before, Aidan announced that he had to go potty. I could tell Ella was just getting started with her fit. So, we stood up and walked out - with her screaming "Daddy!! Daddy!!! DADDY!!!" the entire way up the aisle. (Matt was up front videoing the wedding) The wedding coordinator opened the cry room door and kicked out the sweet grandma holding a sleeping baby. I sent Aidan with the coordinator to the bathroom, Ella and I sat down. I got a tissue and just bawled with her - all while my Uncle Mike was snapping pictures through the glass. They had some children's books, so I handed them to Ella. She said "oh!" and immeditely the fit stopped and she was perfectly quiet. That's when I really wanted to make her scream. Instead, I regained my composure and sat as far from her as I could.
Then, it didn't help that Aidan refused to be in any pictures. By that time, Ella was back to her happy self and followed every direction. After the ceremony, everyone had a comment "it was nice to see that other mom's have trouble with their kids, too" or "my two-year-old was terrible, but she turned out alright" or "it's okay everyone with kids understands" or "I thought it was so funny that she was screaming for her daddy." The best: "That cry room isn't very sound proof. They need to do something about that." It was horrible.
To top it off, right after the ceremony, the wedding coordinator came up to me and said "you are going to put the bows and poinsettas back up, right?" At that moment, all I wanted to do was disappear. I certainly did not want to climb back up the baptistry, and climb around sticking the burgandy and gold poinsettas back in the floral foam. UGH! That's a story for another day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I don't think I could tell you thank you enough for all the things that you did to help out with this wedding!!! There's no way it could have been as wonderful, or gone as smoothly as it did without you! Thanks again so much!!!!
Post a Comment