In a previous life I wore business suits, high heels and attended meetings. Lots of meetings. I was good at my job and I loved it. Then, we moved to Abilene and had kids.
Someone found out about my previous life and asked me to work on a project. It's short term and part-time. My first big meeting was a couple of weeks ago. On Tuesday, I dropped the kids off at school and headed to my office. Yes, I have an office, but I never go there. Usually I work from home. Anyway, I made phone calls, meeting packets, set up my video and powerpoint presentation. It felt good - I was in my zone.
When it was time to pick up the kids (2:45), I wasn't quite finished so I arranged for a babysitter to meet me at home. I left and picked up the kids. We had a little time at home, and that's when I noticed that Aidan's pants were on backwards. Way to go! You really couldn't tell because he had on a long shirt, but the pockets were most certainly in the front and the zipper in the back. Not a big deal, but it will take away some mom points. At least it proves that he's big enough to dress himself...and that I don't look very closely in the mornings.
The next morning was my meeting - at 7:30 am! Early that morning at 6:45 as I crept across the house to get my coat, I heard "mommy!" It was Ella; she was awake. I was dressed and ready to leave, but thought I'd be nice and change her super soggy diaper before dumping her in the bed with Matt. Then, I left and went to my meeting. Again, in my zone. It went great and I was back home by 10AM. Not a bad gig? Sweet Ella met me at my car - with a stinky, dirty diaper. Not a chance she was going to give me a break.
Then after school today as I was turning into the driveway with the car full of kids, I received a call from the Mayor's office asking me to attend the City Council meeting tomorrow morning. I have to be there by 8:30. Yikes! What have a gotten myself in to? Thankfully, I don't have to do too much juggling. Matt will take Aidan to school as usual and I'll just take Ella to school a bit early. Thankfully her school opens at 7:30 (usually she doesn't go until 9:00). I think she'll be excited because she's always disappointed when she doesn't get to leave when Aidan does.
I'm sad because I'll miss Bible study with my girlfriends, but hopefully I'll catch up with them at lunch. I just hope this meeting isn't surrounded by diaper changes.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment