Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!!



Yesterday, I put on my Betty Crocker suit and baked some heart shaped cakes. I invited my cake decorator friend Allison C. over to help the kids decorate the sweet little heart cakes for their teachers. True to form, my one hour project turned into 3 - why do I do this?

After the cakes were out of the oven, I packed the kids up to go buy powdered sugar for the icing. The ingredients are simple: sugar, butter and milk. I always have butter and milk, so we just needed sugar (and plates and marshmallows and...).

We got home, had lunch and then Allison got busy fixing my mistakes:

1. I let the cakes cool before taking them out of the pans (What?) Allison put them back in the oven and they still crumbled - icing can fix it??

2. No butter! Just margarine that was bought by mistake a long time ago - yikes!

3. No sifter - I've only played with my Granny's sifter when I was a little girl. I didn't know they were still in use. Allison asked if I had a mesh strainer - sure, but it's tiny (I mean 2.5 inches across, maybe). She used it anyway - tap, tap, tap as she "sifted" 3 and a half cups of powdered sugar so we wouldn't have lumpy icing (which, in my opinion, would have gone nicely with the lumpy "heart" cakes).

I'm so thankful that Allison was willing to see the project through. If I was by myself, I would have just dusted powdered sugar (with my 2.5" mesh strainer) on the plain cakes and called it quits.

Instead, she mixed up red, hot pink and light pink icing and went to town decorating. Aidan had a great time and Ella even got into the action.

All I have to say is Mission Accomplished! They really turned out cute - thanks Allison! I hope, really hope that no one actually tries to eat these. It's the thought that counts, right?

Click over and see the Honeybee Ink Valentines for the kids.

XOXO!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You said that there were some mistakes so be careful when I ate it, but let me just say - IT WAS AWESOME!!! I'm telling you, that thing was GORGEOUS and you totally could sell those things. It was by far the yummiest thing I ate today. Thanks for all the hard work. :) I enjoyed it.

Whitney said...

That would be me if I tried to bake! I'm sure their teachers loved and I hope Ella is feeling better!

Melody Forest McKee said...

Hey Melissa,
You probably don't remember me but I was Matt's intern in the spring of 2004 and babysat Aidan when he was a baby one time. Anyway...I randomly found your blog :)
I can't believe your kids are so big and that Aidan is FOUR!
Take care.