Friday, December 7, 2007

The Gingerbread House

Growing up, my Grandma Alice and Grandpa Jim always ordered an elaborate gingerbread house. It was the centerpiece of the kid's table. We waited patiently, plotting the house's destruction, all through dinner. Finally, we would get the parental nod and that poor, painstakingly decorated house would be demolished within .2 seconds.

When I saw the Gingerbread House Kits at Sam's, I just couldn't resist. As much as Aidan loves building, I thought it would be a fun project. Plus, it was less than $10 and included everything - walls, roof, icing and decorations.

Here's the before picture:

Just the basics:


I don't have a "decorating" picture, because my hands were too busy with the icing, but here's the finished Gingerbread House. Aidan had a great time putting the "lights" on the house and Ella had a good time throwing them everywhere. Oh, and let's not leave out Spencer - he certainly enjoyed his sugar high.


Let's hope that this house makes it through Christmas without destruction - or an invasion of ants.

Happy decorating!

1 comment:

Lindi said...

You could be a professional gingerbread house decorator. You can add that to your many talents. You know McKay's has a competition every year for the best house. Winner gets $300 Too bad it ended last week. Lindi